Shipping Human Remains
The Government of Ethiopia depends upon Ethiopian Airlines to set the regulations for the transport of human remains. Ethiopian Airlines requires the following documentation to fly human remains to Ethiopia.
• A written request either to the Embassy of Ethiopia in Brazil or to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Addis Ababa. The application should indicate that the expenses will be covered by the applicant. It should also include the name and address of the receiving person in Ethiopia.
• Original and one copy of Death Certificate
• Original and one copy of the certificate from the funeral home showing that the remains have been embalmed;
• Original and one copy of a letter issued by local authorities that the body is fit for transportation;
• Laissez-Passer for Corps issued by a competent authority attesting that the remains are non-contagious;
• Security Certificate showing that the coffin is sealed in a casket;
• Passport (or any Travel Document) of the deceased;
Note that there is no fee associated with this service.